Sunday, August 28, 2016

august portraits..

a night in the ED 

she put a tiny magnet up her nose and we spent a worrying evening in emergency until they eventually (painstakingly) managed to remove it.

helping hands, picking fresh herbs and adding them to the soup one tiny leaf at a time.

this weeks shoe of choice, apparently just as perfect for scaling rocks and scooting as they are for ballet.

her favourite place on earth, {still} mumma's neck.
she will run to me at random, squish her little nose into the nook and and breathe me in.

August was a month that reminded me my baby girl really is still just a baby after she spent a week with a head cold, and nestled into my neck for endless cuddles.  Still keeping us forever entertained with her antics and funny ways, of course.  

Then last week she found a tiny little magnet in the shape of a star.  A treasure!  She has never been one to put things in her mouth or anywhere other than her special box or a pocket, so I wasn't the least bit concerned about her holding ever so tightly onto this.  We still don't know where it came from, but I'm guessing its something one of the boys might have picked up off the ground somewhere.

It wasn't until later that night, just before bed, that she said her nose was scratchy form the star.  At first the boys thought she'd scratched her nose but couldn't see any blood so didn't worry too much. When she said it to me though, I knew immediately what she'd done.  I took a look and there it was. A glimmer right up in her nostril, so off to the doctor we went.  

He couldn't get to it after his one and only attempt.  He and Olive are good friends and I don't think he wanted that to change, so it was off to the hospital emergency department next.  

I really didn't think it was going to be that hard.  I could see it was within reach, and she was being very co-operative, but they just couldn't get it out.  After a few attempts, long hours and some happy gas, it was still holding tight up there.  In fact it had moved up even further and the doctor couldn't see it anymore.  I was so worried when they suggested we go home and wait.  Wait to see if she'd swallowed it in which case she would just pass it, or wait to see if discharge developed over the next couple of days which would indicate it was still there.

I just didn't feel right about taking her home and not knowing where it was.  I worried that she could choke on it in her sleep, that it could become infected or that she could inhale it! 

It was so late at night by now and the ED was flat out busy.  In the end, they called up an ear nose and throat specialist to come into the hospital to take a look.  Thank goodness for that, because he wasn't going to let her go anywhere until it was removed, whatever it may take. 

Eventually, after lots and lots of tears, Olive screaming for her star and screaming that it was 'time to go home now' he managed to pull it out.  We had to wrap her in a sheet and pin her down, another doctor holding her head still while she screamed and screamed.  But he got it. Oh boy, what a relief that was! 

I think I'm the only one who was left traumatised by the whole event.  Olive was perfectly fine once we left and promised to never ever put anything in her nose again.

1 comment:

  1. Thankfully I have not had to go through that experience, poor you and poor Olive x I love the ballet slipper photo xx


hello! thanks so much for visiting x