Tuesday, October 28, 2014

making as medicine..




I tell you, you people are very lovely.  I have been inundated with pattern requests these last few months, such a compliment!  I must apologise for tardy responses and being oh so slow at getting those patterns up here for you, though. 

Firstly, there's the simple lack of time to sit and think and write, and secondly, as you know, patterns are really so far out of my comfort zone, both the following and the writing!  

But I will do my very best, bare with me,  I'm so looking forward to sharing them with you all. 

To be perfectly honest, I struggle to know where to begin, I think perhaps I over-complicate it in my mind.  My pieces are very simple, using straightforward, repetitive stitches.  I enjoy the simple rhythm, and therapeutic nature of the making.

I had a very special moment with a beautiful friend recently.  She told me that making for me is medicinal.  It's my medicine.  I'd never looked at it this way, but she's right.  Time to stop and crochet those repetitive stitches are as valuable to me as a yoga class or taking time out to myself.

What she said next made me cry happy tears.  She said that when I make, I'm sharing my medicine. Sharing the calm, nurturing qualities that those pieces hold.  Woah!  I love this, and it makes perfect sense to me.  You know that feeling you get when someone asks you to make something for them, or when you have the perfect gift in mind and you can't wait to get started?  It's all about how it makes you feel.  Its a part of you, and the love you put into creating for someone else.

So, anyway, I just wanted to share that with you all and to assure you that my pattern posts are on their way, and I hope that through these you are able to share the love of making as medicine, too.




4 comments:

  1. You are a beautiful soul Miss Mel.
    Your blog is often like medicine to me.
    Or rather like a big hug.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely tender and true written words expressed so beautifully <3

      Delete
  2. I love that description!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend is right, making is medicine.
    And such a pretty medicine too
    x

    ReplyDelete

hello! thanks so much for visiting x